Maybe you’ve heard of something called the Olympic Charter? Well, it is the codification of the Fundamental Principles of Olympism, apparently. The Principles tell us that Olympism is a philosophy of life, that is “seeks to create a way of life based on the joy of effort, the educational value of good example, social responsibility and respect for universal fundamental ethical principles.” It’s goal is to “is to place sport at the service of the harmonious development of humankind, with a view to promoting a peaceful society concerned with the preservation of human dignity.”
And my favourite:
Any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race, religion, politics, gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic Movement.
Allow me to state a few more facts.
The International Olympic Committee is waiting for more clarifications from the Russian government on the anti-gay law that is overshadowing preparations for the Winter Games in Sochi, IOC President Jacques Rogge said Friday.
The United States Olympic Committee, seemingly backtracking on an earlier statement – and now outright contradicting the International Olympic Committee – says Russia’s draconian new anti-gay law is inconsistent with fundamental Olympic principles.
Russia has given assurances its anti-gay “propaganda” law will not affect the Winter Olympics, says International Olympic Committee chief Jacques Rogge.
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has released a statement saying it is content with the reassurances given by Russia over an anti-gay law signed in June for the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics.
A decree banning demonstrations and rallies has been signed by Russian President Vladimir Putin, and will take place over the duration of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics.
I think Freddie wants a word with you.
I had a dream
When I was young
A dream of sweet illusion
A glimpse of hope and unity
And visions of one sweet union
But a cold wind blows
And a dark rain falls
And in my heart it shows
Look what they’ve done to my dreams
- Russia ‘gives anti-gay law assurance’ (bbc.co.uk)
- Russia vows not to discriminate during Sochi Olympics (cbc.ca)
- Russia assures IOC of no discrimination against gays in Sochi (globalnews.ca)
- Putin signs decree banning protests in Sochi around Olympics time (ctvnews.ca)
- Winter Olympics 2014: Russian officials say anti-gay law won’t spur discrimination in Sochi (wjla.com)
- Russian Deputy Prime Minister Defends Anti-Gay Law In Letter To IOC (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Rogge criticises Isinbayeva remarks (bbc.co.uk)
- BREAKING: US Olympic Committee says Russia anti-gay law “inconsistent with fundamental Olympic principles” (americablog.com)
- Russia’s anti-gay laws vs. the Olympic spirit (thenewstribune.com)